The question “how can we serve you?” drives the business decisions of our retail, restaurant, and hospitality clients. It also drives the team of skilled attorneys dedicated to serving them. Our attorneys have decades of the experience required to successfully guide retail, restaurant, and hospitality companies of any size through a variety of complex claims. We have represented locally owned restaurants to nationally recognized brands, boutique hotels to multi-national chains, mom and pop shops to large nationwide retailers. We regularly serve franchisors and franchisees and understand the dynamics involved in these business arrangements.
Through regular communication and active listening, our attorneys provide creative solutions specific to the requirements of each individual client. We understand our clients want to avoid litigation when possible and utilize all forms of alternative dispute resolution, but we are prepared to rigorously defend them in court if other attempts at settlement are unsuccessful. As needed, our Retail, Restaurant, and Hospitality Law team collaborates with the firm’s experienced attorneys from other practice groups to tailor a comprehensive defense to the individual needs of each client.
The firm has successfully defended clients in this industry at the trial court level (including motions for summary judgment and jury trial) and appellate court level as well as before state industrial commissions.
We assist our clients in matters involving:
- Premises liability (slip and fall, falling merchandise, and other personal injury claims)
- Foodborne illness
- False arrest and malicious prosecution
- Dram shop
- Negligent security and intentional torts
- Employment discrimination
- Workers’ compensation
Additionally, our attorneys actively participate in and present to industry organizations such as the National Restaurant and Retail Defense Association.
Cases or matters referenced are for illustrative purposes only, and do not represent the lawyer’s or law firm’s entire record. Each case is unique and must be evaluated on its own merits. The outcome of a particular case cannot be predicted based upon a lawyer’s or law firm’s past results. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.
- Trial to verdict of premises liability action against regional restaurant chain for slip and fall arising out of allegedly defective restaurant furniture.
- Successfully defended a retail department store in a case involving an alleged brain injury in a child who was alleged to have been struck in the head by a piece of shelving. The case settled prior to jury selection for less than 6% of the original demand to settle the case.
- Lead counsel in wrongful death and personal injury case for liquor store sued for alleged sale of alcohol to minor.
- Lead counsel in personal injury claims against restaurants for alleged sale to intoxicated patrons.
- Obtained summary judgment for a national retailer in a slip and fall case by proving to court that the plaintiff could not establish the existence of a dangerous condition.
- Lead counsel for national consumer electronics retailer in a slip and fall case allegedly resulting in serious injuries to the plaintiff’s hip and knee. Successfully removed case to federal court. Investigation into plaintiff’s medical history revealed extensive preexisting conditions.
- Lead counsel for national restaurant franchisor in slip and fall case allegedly resulting in serious injury. Obtained summary judgment, dismissing the franchisor from the case. Plaintiff’s appeal was successfully dismissed on procedural grounds.
- Represented national restaurant chain in claims involving adulterated food.