Patricia Shields is a highly-experienced trial attorney whose practice focuses on civil litigation. She represents people and their businesses in a wide variety of cases, including complex commercial litigation, malpractice and professional responsibility, products liability claims, and civil rights claims. In addition, she litigates before occupational licensing boards, defending and prosecuting licensees.
Throughout her 30-year career, she has enjoyed an active appellate practice, appearing regularly before North Carolina’s Court of Appeals and Supreme Court. She has also argued before the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals and is often retained to assist other attorneys with their appeals.
Tricia has been an active member of the North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys, serving as its President in 2011-2012. She is a member of the Wake County, North Carolina, and American Bar Associations, and serves on the Adjunct Faculty at Campbell Law School. She serves on Hedrick Gardner’s Associate Development and Pro Bono Committees.
Tricia has been recognized by her peers for her professional accomplishments. She is ranked in Chambers® and Partners and holds an AV® Preeminent™ 5 out of 5 by Martindale-Hubbell. Tricia received a Women of Justice Award from North Carolina Lawyers Weekly in 2012, the inaugural year of that award. She has been listed in Best Lawyers in America since 2003. She is listed in Best Lawyers for Legal Ethics and Professional Responsibility Law, and is one of only two North Carolina lawyers with that designation.
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC INVOLVEMENT:
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- President-Elect (2010-2011)
- Executive Vice President (2009-2010)
- Treasurer (2008-2009)
- Member, Board of Directors (2005-2008)
- Defense Research Institute
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society
- Rated AV Preeminent 5 out of 5 by Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected to the North Carolina Super Lawyers® list for Civil Litigation from 2006-2020
- Included in the North Carolina Super Lawyers® Top 25: Raleigh Super Lawyers, 2016
- Included in the Top 50: Women of North Carolina Super Lawyers®, 2006-2019
- Included in the Top 100: North Carolina Super Lawyers®, 2014-2019
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© every year since 2003 for Personal Injury Litigation and Ethics and Professional Responsibility Law
- Recognized by Business North Carolina magazine as a North Carolina Legal Elite in 2014 and 2015
- Recognized in America’s Leading Lawyers in Litigation, Chambers USA 2013-20
- Received a Women of Justice Award from North Carolina Lawyers Weekly in 2012, the inaugural year of that award.
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Recognized by Lawyers Weekly as a Diversity and Inclusion Awards honoree in 2019
- Recipient of the North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys J. Robert Elster Award, 2020