Duane is an attorney in the firm’s Charlotte office. His practice focuses in the areas of appellate advocacy, civil litigation, and workers’ compensation. He is a Board Certified Specialist in Appellate Law, and is an active member of the North Carolina State Bar, North Carolina Bar Association, and Mecklenburg County Bar Association.
Prior to joining Hedrick Gardner, Duane served as a law clerk to Judge Linda McGee of the North Carolina Court of Appeals. He is a member of the firm’s Appellate Advocacy Practice Group and is instrumental in navigating client appeals through the appellate process. He has argued numerous appeals before the Industrial Commission, North Carolina Court of Appeals, and North Carolina Supreme Court. Duane is also a member of the North Carolina Appellate Rules Committee.
While in law school, Duane served on the Honor Court from 1999 – 2001, taking on the leadership role of Vice Chair from 2000 – 2001. Additionally, he was an active member of the North Carolina Banking Institute Journal, serving as Articles Editor from 2000-2001.
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC INVOLVEMENT:
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- Children’s Law Center
- Pro Bono Attorney (2003-present)
- North Carolina Appellate Rules Committee
- Prevailing on Appeal: An Oral Advocacy Skills Training of an Appellate Case, NCADA Young Lawyers Seminar (July 25, 2012)
- How to Prepare a Proper Record on Appeal for Appeals to the Court of Appeals from the Industrial Commission, 2012 NCBA Workers Compensation Section Annual Meeting (February 11, 2012)
Cases or matters referenced are for illustrative purposes only, and do not represent the lawyer’s or law firm’s entire record. Each case is unique and must be evaluated on its own merits. The outcome of a particular case cannot be predicted based upon a lawyer’s or law firm’s past results. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.
- Chambers v. Transit Management, 360 N.C. 609, 636 S.E.2d 553 (2006)
- Gregory v. W. A. Brown & Sons, 363 N.C. 750, 688 S.E.2d 431 (2010)
- Bryson v. Coastal Plain League, et al. N.C. App., 729 S.E.2d 107 (2012)
- Diaz v. Smith, _N.C. App_, 724 S.E.2d 141 (2012)
- Gray v. United Parcel Services, _N.C. App_, 713 S.E.2d 126 (2011)
- Norman v. Food Lion, _ N.C. App_, 713 S.E.2d 507 (2011)
- Nale v. Ethan Allen, 199 N.C. App 511, 682 S.E.2d 231 (2009)