She is an experienced and successful litigator, routinely developing effective solutions for insurance companies and employers facing workers’ compensation litigation.”I am a Litigation Specialist with tight deadlines, however, I always have a clear plan of action after discussing a case with Kari. If you are not yet Kari’s client, you should give her one case; this will prove that you have come to the right attorney for legal defense.” -Commercial Lines Claims Specialist, Utica National Insurance Group
Kari Schultz blends her experience handling complex medical issues in workers’ compensation claims with a law degree of more than thirteen years. She is an experienced and successful litigator, routinely developing effective solutions for insurance companies and employers facing workers’ compensation litigation. She has been assigned an AV Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell, a designation awarded to an elite group of just eight percent of all attorneys.
Kari handles all kinds of workers’ compensation claims, including those involving: injury by accident; catastrophic injuries; complex occupational disease; asbestosis; attendant care benefits; multi-party coverage disputes; and death. She serves the legal needs of local, national, and international corporations, as well as hospitals, colleges, and government entities by combining an understanding of the issues specific to that employer or industry, and creating legal arguments that lead to successful defenses.
Kari provides risk management workshops and seminars designed to keep professionals up to date on North Carolina law and best practices. She has been invited to speak by the North Carolina Industrial Commission at their annual educational conference, and has frequently been asked by clients to speak on various topics, including “The Impact of Social Media in North Carolina Workers’ Compensation Cases,” “Making Compensability Decisions in North Carolina,” “What Forms to File and When,” and appellate case law updates.
Kari and her husband live in Wilmington with their two young children. They enjoy spending time together as a family, especially at Wrightsville Beach during the spring and summer.
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC INVOLVEMENT:
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
- New Hanover County Bar Association
- Member, Board of Directors (2012-Present)
- Elected Officer, Young Lawyers Division (2007-2010)
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- American Bar Association
Cases or matters referenced are for illustrative purposes only, and do not represent the lawyer’s or law firm’s entire record. Each case is unique and must be evaluated on its own merits. The outcome of a particular matter cannot be predicted based upon a lawyer’s or law firm’s past results. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.
- Saunders v. ADP Total Source, North Carolina Court of Appeals, COA 15-1390, September 6, 2016
- Tyson v. House of Raeford, IC Nos. X71574 & X79386, February 10, 2014
- Nunez v. House of Raeford, IC No. 886835, October 6, 2011
- Newnam v. New Hanover Regional Medical Center, North Carolina Court of Appeals, COA 10-905, June 7, 2011
- Tina Gore v. Randy’s Meat Center, IC No. W03917, July 16, 2010
- Jason Ballard v. Charles Williams, et. al., IC No. 095052, February 24, 2011
- Barbara Chrobak v. Sears Corp., IC No. W02673, June 13, 2011
- Adcox v. Clarkson Brothers, North Carolina Court of Appeals, COA 09-401, December 8, 2009
- Robbins v. Oak Bark Corp., IC No. 605913, September 9, 2009
- Krause v. BAK Transport, IC No. 726814, July 22, 2009
- Byrd Penn Ventilation, IC No. 230359, April 2, 2008
- Evans New Hanover Regional Medical Center, IC No. 598108, February 11, 2008
- James New Hanover Regional Medical Center, IC No. 432461, January 5, 2007
- Evans South Atlantic Services, IC No. 418708, September 13, 2006
- Hunt Jones Concrete, IC No. 433421, February 2, 2006
“Kari is the best defense attorney I have worked with! She is great at uncovering facts and negotiating complex legal issues to bring about an outcome that all parties are happy with and she is always available to answer questions about my claims.” -Senior Account Claims Representative, PMA Companies
“Working with Kari has been very beneficial for our company. She is a no-nonsense lawyer that does her homework and is very well prepared for every case. With her diligence and hard work, we close cases quickly and efficiently with results that are of great satisfaction to our company. Kari is definitely an asset to our workers’ compensation claim team.” -Occupational Health and Safety, House of Raeford
“Kari is truly a great attorney, professional, and most of all a genuinely good person. On behalf of House of Raeford, I would highly recommend her services to anyone needing help.” -Compliance Officer, House of Raeford
“I am a Litigation Specialist with tight deadlines, however, I always have a clear plan of action after discussing a case with Kari. If you are not yet Kari’s client, you should give her one case; this will prove that you have come to the right attorney for legal defense.” -Commercial Lines Claims Specialist, Utica National Insurance Group