Josh Shaw is a strategic thinker who takes pride in offering practical advice to his clients involved in complex conflicts.
Josh devotes the majority of his practice to the construction industry representing contractors, developers, design professionals, and construction product manufacturers in complicated disputes and litigation. Josh has handled multiple class actions in state and federal court and has successfully defeated class certification. Josh also has extensive experience representing insurance carriers directly, both advising on coverage issues and bringing and defending coverage litigation. Outside the construction context, Josh has defended a wide variety of professional liability matters, including representing attorneys who served as class counsel in underlying class actions.
Committed to his profession and his community, Josh regularly volunteers his time to a variety of causes and initiatives. Josh has served as pro-bono special prosecutor for the South Carolina Attorney General’s office, and he has served on the SC Bar’s Judicial Qualifications Committee for most of his legal career. He is the president of his church’s governing board and has volunteered for a variety of SC Bar initiatives, including organizing donation drives for domestic violence shelters.
When not practicing law or volunteering in the community, Josh spends time with his wife and three children. He devotes a lot of time to attending youth soccer, t-ball, basketball, and ballet. He has recently tried his hand at coaching youth soccer, which afforded a different perspective on the “art of persuasion” and has given him a lot of respect for the various coaches and mentors he has had throughout the years. The experience has also reaffirmed to Josh that regardless of the challenge, maintaining a good attitude and hard work create a foundation for success.
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC INVOLVEMENT:
- South Carolina Bar (Judicial Qualifications Committee, 2009-Present)
- DRI Toxic Torts and Environmental Law Section (2015-16 Membership Chair, 2013 Annual Meeting Chair)
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association (Member, 2009-Present)
- Defense Research Institute (Member, 2009-Present)
- South Carolina Super Lawyers® Rising Star category, 2015 – 2018
- The Center for Computer-Assisted Legal Instruction (CALI) Award, Civil Procedure I, 2006
- Order of the Barristers, Appellate Advocacy, 2006
- AV Preeminent® peer review rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
- Columbia Business Monthly, Legal Elite in the construction practice group, 2018