Joseph Wideman is passionate about helping others. Growing up around people from all walks of life afforded him a keen ability to interact well regardless of the dynamic and he is able to relate well with all the parties involved in his cases.
At Hedrick Gardner, Joe defends his clients against workers’ compensation claims.
The first male in his family to attend college, Joe played Division I football and was a team captain for two years. During his football career, he served on the player value and SAAC Committees.
As a summer law clerk at the South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Commission, Joe received valuable insight into the workings of the Commission. He also served as a summer intern to the Anderson City Council.
Valuing community involvement, Joe enjoys volunteering with CHAMPS (Community Helping Assisting Motivating Promising Students) mentoring at-risk students from the local community. Part of his service to Champs included helping create an academic curriculum for the 11th and 12th grade college preparation program. Joe also serves as a judge for mock trial competitions for local middle and high schools and as an advisor for the Black Law Students Association at the University of South Carolina School of Law.
When he isn’t practicing law or volunteering in his community, Joe is a fitness fanatic and spends much of his free time working out. When not at the gym, he enjoys cooking and spending time with friends.
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC INVOLVEMENT:
- Matthew J. Perry Black Law Student Association (2015-2016): President
- John Belton O’Neall Inn of Court (2015-2016): Student Member
- American Bar Association (2015-2016): Lieutenant Governor of Conference & Sponsorship Relations
- National Black Law Student Association (2015-2016): National Financial Secretary
- Constitutional Scholars Pipeline Program (2013-2016): Executive Board
- Matthew J. Perry Black Law Student Association (2014-2015): Treasurer
- National Black Law Student Association (2014-2015): Co-Director Corporate Relation and National Financial Secretary
- American Bar Association (2014-2015): Student Liaison to Commission on Youth at Risk