Jonathan is a partner in the firm’s Columbia office. His practice focuses in the area of civil litigation. Jonathan has tried nearly 90 cases to verdict since beginning his legal career in 2000. He has navigated the state and federal courts of South Carolina handling cases of all shapes and sizes, including auto accidents, trucking accidents, premises liability, products liability, construction defect, assault and battery, and liquor liability. He has handled cases in 38 of the 46 counties in South Carolina. His vast experience has allowed him to develop firsthand knowledge of the venues, judges and juries from one corner of the state to the other. In addition, he has led discovery efforts on complex liability and damages issues, has handled document intensive litigation, and has learned the best strategies for effective mediation. Jonathan is at home in the courtroom but calls upon his expertise in all areas of the litigation process to develop a litigation plan with his clients designed to deliver an efficient and effective result.
Jonathan has lived in South Carolina his entire life. He and his wife have four children, and outside of work, he enjoys spending time with his family, participating in church, civic and philanthropic activities, traveling, and watching sports, particularly if the Gamecocks or Red Sox are involved.
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC INVOLVEMENT:
- South Carolina State Bar
- South Carolina Bar Association
- Richland County Bar Association
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorney’s Association
- Defense Research Institute
Cases or matters referenced are for illustrative purposes only, and do not represent the lawyer’s or law firm’s entire record. Each case is unique and must be evaluated on its own merits. The outcome of a particular case cannot be predicted based upon a lawyer’s or law firm’s past results. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.
- Served as lead counsel for a product manufacturer in a multi-defendant construction defect case in which the plaintiff homeowner association alleged damages in excess of $50 million. The case involved thousands of construction documents and over 100 witnesses. Primarily through effective cross-examination of numerous opposing experts, Jonathan put his client in a position to negotiate a very favorable settlement.
- As trial counsel, Jonathan obtained a defense verdict for an amusement park company that was sued when a patron claimed he was injured on one of its rides. The plaintiff claimed that the company negligently operated the ride and asked the jury for $500,000 during the closing argument. Jonathan was able to discredit the plaintiff and his liability expert during the cross-examination, which undermined the plaintiff’s theory of the case.
Auto Personal Injury
- As trial counsel, Jonathan obtained a defense verdict for the driver of a vehicle who struck a pedestrian while traveling on Interstate 385. The plaintiff suffered serious injuries, many of them permanent in nature. The trial involved a number of liability and damages experts. The defense did not dispute damages and did not allege comparative negligence, but, rather, focused its case on proving the defendant was not negligent. Despite a sympathetic plaintiff and an attorney who asked for $10,000,000.00+ in closing, the jury found in favor of the defendant.
- Represented the manufacturer of a conveyor system in a leg amputation case arising years after the system was manufactured and installed. With a focused discovery plan, Jonathan was able to uncover numerous post-installation modifications to the system that his client was able to rely on in reaching a positive pre-trial settlement.
- Defended a convenience store in a case where the plaintiff claimed that he was permanently and totally disabled as the result of being injured while using the convenience store’s self-serve car wash. The plaintiff claimed the car wash assembly fell from the ceiling and hit him in the head, worsening a pre-existing tremor condition to the point where he could no longer work. Through the effective use of discovery, Jonathan was able to uncover key information in the plaintiff’s medical records and valuable admissions from treating physicians and experts in depositions that led to a very favorable pre-trial settlement for his client.