A partner in Hedrick Gardner’s Charlotte office, Jeff is the Chair of the firm’s Workers’ Compensation Practice Group. He focuses on workers’ compensation, with an emphasis on defending occupational disease and chemical exposure claims. He has extensive experience representing business clients at hearings and at the appellate level before the North Carolina Industrial Commission, the North Carolina Court of Appeals, and Supreme Court.
Jeff regularly presents continuing education courses on best practices and workplace policies adhering to North Carolina’s Workers’ Compensation Act. He was listed as one of Business Leader’s 2011 Movers & Shakers, and has been selected to the North Carolina Super Lawyers® list in Workers’ Compensation from 2008 – 2019. Jeff was selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2013-2020 in the field of Workers’ Compensation Law – Employers.
In addition to being a member of the North Carolina State Bar, Mecklenburg County Bar Association, and Defense Research Institute (DRI), Jeff served on the Board of Directors of the North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys (NCADA) from 2010 to 2013, and served as the Chair of the NCADA’s Workers’ Compensation Practice Group from 2003 to 2006. He was a board member of the North Carolina Bar Association’s Workers’ Compensation Section from 2002 until 2005.
Jeff was recognized in 1996 for his exemplary service to children by the Mecklenburg County Bar and the Children’s Law Center. He continues to remain active volunteering for the Council for Children’s Rights.
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC INVOLVEMENT:
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Chair, Workers’ Compensation Practice Group (2003-2006)
- Member, Board of Directors (2010-2013)
- North Carolina Industrial Commission
- Advisory Council
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Council for Children’s Rights
- Active Custody Advocate
REPRESENTATIVE MATTERS: Cases or matters referenced are for illustrative purposes only, and do not represent the lawyer’s or law firm’s entire record. Each case is unique and must be evaluated on its own merits. The outcome of a particular case cannot be predicted based upon a lawyer’s or law firm’s past results. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.
- Represented dozens of manufacturing and construction industry employers in hundreds of asbestos and chemical exposure claims.
- Currently North Carolina Counsel for national and local retailers, health services providers.
- Regularly called on as a speaker for local, statewide, and national groups to train claims personnel and provide counsel in handling Workers’ Compensation claims in NC.
- Listed as one of Business Leader’s 2011 Movers & Shakers
- Selected to the North Carolina Super Lawyers® list in Workers’ Compensation from 2008-2019
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2013-2020 in the field of Workers’ Compensation Law – Employers
- Recognized in 1996 for exemplary service to children by the Mecklenburg County Bar and the Children’s Law Center