A spirit of compassion drives Erin Collins in most areas of her life and work. Her desire to serve others influenced her career path. “I became an attorney because I enjoy helping people,” she said.
While in law school, Erin was a member of two National Moot Court Teams, served as the Law Review’s Business Editor, and had an academic comment published in March 2005. She also received the highest grade award in Judicial Writing.
Today, her practice focuses in the areas of Medicare compliance and workers compensation. Erin provides legal expertise, consulting services, and training in regard to Medicare Compliance matters, including but not limited to:
- Mandatory insurer (RRE) reporting compliance under Section 111 of the Medicare, Medicaid, and SCHIP Extension Act of 2007 (MMSEA);
- Insurer compliance under the Medicare Secondary Payer (MSP) Act and as regulated by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS);
- Consideration of Medicare’s interest in all stages of litigated and non-litigated liability matters, including facilitation of the settlement process, addressing options for resolving Medicare claims, resolution of conditional payment lien issues, and preparation of settlement documents to adequately address Medicare concerns; and
- File review and analysis regarding the potential need for future medical care and Medical Set-Aside allocations, where applicable.
She enjoys giving back through community service activities; traveling; and spending time with her family. She lived in Spain, and studied in England and Peru.
Erin also loves competitive running and swimming and often combines her sports with her travel, competing in the New York City Marathon twice. Erin and her husband are parents to two young sons and a dog named Harry.
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC INVOLVEMENT:
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Board of Directors, (2015-2018)
- Membership Committee, (2006-2007)
- New Hanover County Bar Association
- National Alliance of Medicare Set Aside Professionals (NAMSAP)
- Co-Chair, Legislative Committee, (2014-2018)
- American Bar Association
- National Retail and Restaurant Defense Association (NRRDA)
- Medicare Advantage Plans: There is a New Lien in Town, NCADA, November 23, 2015 Click here to read the full article.
- Medicare Compliance in First-Party Claims, DRI For the Defense, May 2013 Click here to read the full article.
- Medicare’s Mandatory Reporting Requirements & Their Anticipated Impact on the Insurance Industry, NCADA The Defender Spring 2010 edition Click here to read the full article.
- Medicare Considerations in Civil Claims, NCADA Fall Meeting in Greensboro, 2012
- MMSEA Section 111 Mandatory Insurer Reporting Update, nationwide webinar hosted by National Business Institute (NBI), 2013
- Strengthening Medicare & Repaying Taxpayers Act (SMART), H.R. 1845, Speaker for North Carolina Public Risk Insurance Managers Association (NCPRIMA’s) annual conference on Medicare Secondary Payer Compliance, 2013
- Speaker at NCPRIMA’s annual conference on Ethics, 2015
- Don’t Forget About Medicare Advantage Plans, Speaker at North Carolina Industrial Commission’s Annual Conference, 2015