When it comes to practicing law, Dulce Plaza enjoys connecting the interlocking pieces to provide tailor-made solutions for her clients. “What I love most about practicing law is that all legal problems are puzzles yearning to be solved,” she says. “You investigate and analyze each individual piece of the particular legal problem and start seeing how you can best put the puzzle together for your client.”
Prior to joining Hedrick Gardner’s Charlotte office, where her practice focuses in the area of workers’ compensation, she gained valuable experience and perspective as a Plaintiff’s attorney in workers’ compensation cases.
Dulce, who holds a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, earned her Juris Doctor degree from the Charlotte School of Law and graduated cum laude from both institutions of higher learning. In law school, she received the Cali Award in her Property II and Legal Research and Writing II course, was a teaching assistant for the Legal Research and Writing Department and served on the Moot Court Honor Board. As Dulce crafts legal analyses, her passion for writing and solving puzzles serves her well.
Originally from Ecuador, Dulce uses her fluency in Spanish to expand the range of legal services she is able to provide by communicating comfortably and effectively with Spanish-speaking clients. She has a keen interest in promoting diversity in the legal profession. Dulce has been an active member of a variety of Bar Association programs, including the Mecklenburg County Bar Diversity & Inclusion Committee and the D&I Pipeline Programming Subcommittee. She has also chaired the Minority Focus Committee of the North Carolina Bar Association’s Young Lawyer Division.
While Dulce devotes a significant amount of time to her law practice and community service, she also makes time for herself. She enjoys spending most of her time with her wife, Megan, and her family, including her two small dogs, “Levi” and “Lily” who keep her on her toes with their distinct personalities. Growing up Dulce played indoor volleyball, which has translated into a hobby of regular pick-up games and sand volleyball tournaments in the summer. If she’s not playing volleyball, you may find her hiking or engaging in another outdoor activity.
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC INVOLVEMENT:
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Co-Chair, Membership Committee, Workers’ Compensation Section
- Co-Chair, Young Lawyers Division Minority Focus Committee, 2017 – 2018 fiscal year
- Chair, Young Lawyers Division Minority Focus Committee, 2016 – 2017 fiscal year
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- Member-at-Large, Board of Directors Executive Committee, Class of 2019, July 2018 – June 2019
- Board of Directors, Class of 2019, 2018 – 2019 fiscal year
- Member, Diversity & Inclusion Committee, Class of 2018, July 2015 – June 2018
- Member, D&Is Pipeline Programming Subcommittee, 2018 – 2019 fiscal year
- Chair- D&I’s Pipeline Programming Subcommittee, 2017 – 2018 fiscal year
- Co-Chair, D&I’s Pipeline Programming Subcommittee, 2016 – 2017 fiscal year
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys