While pursuing his undergraduate education, Devlin spent several years working on trial teams with the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Charlotte, North Carolina. He earned recognition for exceptional service from a former FBI Director, federal prosecutors, and federal agents for his contributions on civil and criminal cases. This experience led him to his career as a lawyer.
At Hedrick Gardner, Devlin focuses on general liability matters in the firm’s Wilmington office. Having represented clients in commercial and business litigation, traumatic injury and wrongful death cases, professional malpractice claims, civil rights and constitutional claims, insurance coverage matters, and cases of ordinary and automobile negligence, Devlin has experience in a range of complex cases.
Devlin especially enjoys taking cases to trial. He has represented individuals, small businesses, and fortune 500 corporate clients in numerous cases tried to a jury verdict. Devlin is licensed to practice law in North Carolina and Virginia, appearing regularly in State and Federal Courts.
Devlin earned his Juris Doctor from the University of North Carolina School of Law. Prior to law school, he attended the University of North Carolina at Charlotte on a scholarship and graduated with honors, earning degrees in political science and criminal justice.
Though a great deal of Devlin’s energy is devoted to his clients and law practice, he enjoys supporting Tar Heel athletics, surfing, hunting and fishing, supporting local businesses, and enjoying the lifestyle afforded by the coastal region of North Carolina.
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC INVOLVEMENT:
New Hanover County Bar Association
NC Association of Defense Attorneys
Cases or matters referenced are for illustrative purposes only, and do not represent the lawyer’s or law firm’s entire record. Each case is unique and must be evaluated on its own merits. The outcome of a particular case cannot be predicted based upon a lawyer’s or law firm’s past results. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.
- Obtained a verdict of no negligence in Bladen County for a public utility client following a multiple week trial in a case where Plaintiff alleged over $600,000.00 in property damages and business losses.
- Represented a plaintiff-corporation in a breach of contract case where a New Hanover County jury awarded nearly all the client’s claimed damages. The client’s litigation costs and attorney fees were also awarded.
- Received a defense verdict of contributory negligence for a client in an automobile negligence case tried before a jury in Beaufort County.
- Defended a case of clear liability in Cumberland County where damages were claimed in excess of $120,000.00; the jury returned a verdict of less than 10% of the claimed damages. The jury’s award was less than the Defendant’s offer of judgment.
- On a Rule 12 Motion to Dismiss, obtained an order dismissing all claims against a local municipality in an action filed in federal court.