Shannon is a partner in the firm’s Charlotte office. Her practice focuses in the areas of workers’ compensation and Medicare Secondary Payer Act compliance. She is an active member of the North Carolina State Bar, North Carolina Bar Association, North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys, Mecklenburg County Bar Association, Defense Research Institute and the National Alliance of Medicare Set-Aside Professionals. She is also Medicare Set-Aside Consultant Certified (MSCC).
Shannon is AV peer-rated by Martindale-Hubbell and was selected to North Carolina’s 2010 Rising Stars list in Workers’ Compensation, published nationwide in Super Lawyers Magazines®. She was also listed as one of Business Leader’s 2011 Movers & Shakers. Additionally, Shannon was recognized in the 2014 listing in The Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers.
Shannon provides legal counsel, consulting services, and training in regard to Medicare Compliance matters, including but not limited to,
- Insurer compliance under the Medicare Secondary Payer (MSP) Act and as regulated by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS);
- Counsel regarding the need for Medicare Set-Aside Allocations, preparation of Medicare Set-Aside Allocations, and submission of Medicare Set-Aside Allocations to CMS for approval;
- Consideration of Medicare’s interest in all stages of litigated and non-litigated workers’ compensation and liability matters, including facilitation of the settlement process, addressing options for resolving Medicare claims, resolution of conditional payment lien issues, and preparation of settlement documents to adequately address Medicare concerns; and
- Mandatory insurer (RRE) reporting compliance under Section 111 of the Medicare, Medicaid, and SCHIP Extension Act of 2007 (MMSEA).
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC INVOLVEMENT:
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- National Alliance of Medicare Set-Aside professionals
- North Carolina Public Risk Management Association
- Defense Research Institute
- National Alliance of Medicare Set-Aside Professionals
- Council for Children’s Rights
- Pro Bono Attorney
- Johnson & Wales University Adjunct Professor, Fall 2008
- Mecklenburg County Volunteer Attorney of the Year, 2006
- Changes to Medicaid’s Right To Recovery From Injury Settlements Are Drawing Near, North Carolina Bar Association Course & Scope, July 2017. This article is reprinted with permission from the July 2017 edition of Course & Scope, the newsletter of the North Carolina Bar Association’s Workers’ Compensation Section.
- Medicare Compliance in First-Party Claims, DRI For the Defense, May 2013 Click here to read the full article.
- The SMART Act: A Sign of Positive Reform at CMS, Course & Scope, May 2013
- Medicare’s Mandatory Reporting Requirements & Their Anticipated Impact on the Insurance Industry, NCADA The Defender Spring 2010 edition Click here to read the full article.
- Private Cause of Action & Avoiding Double Damages, NAMSAP Medicare Secondary Payer Master Class Conference (January 2016)
- Medicare Case Law Update, Mastering the Medical Portion of the Case Seminar (April 2, 2014)
- Medicare Compliance Trends in Trenches, NAMSAP presentation (January 2014)
- Medicare’s Interest in Liability Claims, National Business Institute presentation (October 24, 2013)
- Strengthening Medicare & Repaying Taxpayers Act (SMART), H.R. 1845, NCPRIMA Fall Educational Conference (September 10, 2013)
- A Legal Road Map Through the Medicare Secondary Payer Act, NC Bar Association Workers’ Compensation Section Annual Meeting (February 2013)
- Medicare’s Mandatory Reporting Requirements, Medicare Secondary Payer Conference (October 25, 2012)
- Regular speaker at client seminars on topics including Medicare Secondary Payer compliance and workers’ compensation claims (annually)
- AV peer-rated by Martindale Hubbell
- Selected to North Carolina’s 2010 Rising Stars list in Workers’ Compensation, published nationwide in Super Lawyers Magazine
- Listed as one of Business Leader’s 2011 Movers & Shakers
- Recognized in the 2014 listing in The Bar Register of Preeminent Woman Lawyers